Wednesday, November 4, 2009

DJ Strobe - Where Do We Go



I had been toying around with this idea since 1998 and in various unreleased incarnations it never seemed to be where I wanted it to be. In 2007 I finally got it to where I liked it. A duo named Berkhouse Snyder provided the vocals for this release. In addition to the lyrics from the original track which was actually the verse I ended up using for the chorus, my writing partner Tom Barnishin and myself wrote additional lyrics. I have been wanting to remix this for a few years, but the original vocals didn't fit where I wanted to go so I am going to have them recut for a fresher feel and release newer remixes in 2009 or early 2010. (In case you were wondering the idea stemmed from the Alan Parsons Project song "Games People Play")

Although there are a few remixes here, I did all of them and just came up with different aliases except for the Basement Junkies which was myself and DJ 7up.

Right click and choose "save as..." to download

DJ Strobe - Where Do We Go [Original Edit] House/Club
DJ Strobe - Where Do We Go [Original Extended] House/Club
DJ Strobe - Where Do We Go [James Noisewater Mix] Club
DJ Strobe - Where Do We Go [Viscosity Mix] Electro/Minimal
DJ Strobe - Where Do We Go [Basement Junkies Mix] Electro
DJ Strobe - Where Do We Go [Castro District Edit] Club


PRODUCTION NOTES // The hardest part was recreating the sound of the little 3 note arpeggio sound the original used and went through every analog synth and retro synth plugin I had. I don't think I was ever truly happy and refused to settle for sampling it but I ended up layering 5 synths and bouncing it. It was my Roland Juno 106, 2 instances of the NI Pro-53, NI Massive and the Arturia Arp2600 VSTi. I automated the filters of them throughout the song. The piano was Steinbergs Hypersonic "Brite Piano" and "Valve Wurli" super compressed using Waves RComp. The bass was one of the Electric Bass sounds I tweaked from Specrasonics Trilogy (which is always my go to bass for anything funky or real sounding). The vocal synth in the break is a sample of a Fairlight choir layerd with an airy choir sound from Hypersonic. There are various other little synth blips and rifs which I bounced in the beginning and don't remember what was used but most likely any of the above synth and reFX Vanguard.

No comments:

Post a Comment